1.13.2009

Things I'd like to see.

I want to see games move beyond space marines and teabagging. Beyond spiky-haired teenagers saving the world from imminent destruction. Beyond stock stories with a gimmick stapled on to separate itself from the pack.

I want to see games that innovate and aren't punished for it. Which means I want to see reviewers and gamers that look at games on their own terms, instead of incessantly comparing them to a Platonic 'Form' of Genre X.

I want to see the media outside of the gaming world stop looking down on the medium simply because it hasn't yet reached its potential.

I want to see the avenues for independent and experimental games expand to the point where it is reasonable to make a living off of small downloadable titles.

And though I can hardly speak for all, or even most, gamers here... I want to see the day when games can be engrossing and rewarding without having to constantly be 'fun'. I'm fully aware of how pretentious that sounds. But where would we be if every movie had to be a Schwarzenegger action-flick or every novel like Harry Potter? Don't get me wrong. I love both. If the game industry were the music industry, everyone would be churning out dance-club songs (and remixes thereof), without anyone making symphonies. Or hell, even rock operas.

Okay, maybe Metal Gear Solid's a rock opera.

2 comments:

  1. I like that we both mentioned Harry Potter in our first blog posts. Your sisters would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MGS4 is more like In A Gadda Da Vida

    ReplyDelete